Every market, there will be a fun craft for your kids to come and do with our market assistant while you can look around the market a bit!
Missed it? The same activity will be posted right here with a step by step tutorial so you can do it at home, along with other fun ideas!
Egg Carton Finger Puppet Animals
Scissors or razor blade
Paintbrush rinsing container
Cut out 2 side by side section of egg carton and the leave the high peak between the two to place your index finger into to make the craft a puppet
Cut out ears for the animals with construction paper, and scissors, possibly tracing out an ear or drawing one before cutting
Glue the ears to the back of the egg carton
Paint the face and glue the fuzzy balls to the nose and googly eyes inside the egg holder to finish the face
Let everything dry and you now have a finger puppet animal!
Clothes Pin Dragon Flies
Paintbrushes / paint
Start by making the wings with the pipe cleaners by overlapping each end of the pipe cleaner and twisting it together to make a circle
Than pinch the cirlce pipe cleaner in the middle and twist that together to make wings on either side of the twist
Now you can pinch the clothes pin to open the mouth and put the wing in the middle of the clothes pin
Glue the googly eyes onto the side or top of head and keep the clothes pin still to let the glue dry
Paint or colour, and glue on some glitter to make a creative and colourful dragonfly!
Painted Seed Pots
Small seed pots
First you can paint the seed pot anyway you like
Once the pot has dried a bit, place some soil into the pot almost to the top and than firm the soil down with your thumb
Now you can pick a seed you would like to plant that grows well for the time of year and environment you will be keeping it.
Place the seed on top of the soil and sprinkle a small amount of more soil overtop of the seed. (We used “West Coast Seeds) available at Billie’s Flower House or Be Clean Naturally in Squamish, B.C. The West Coast Seed package will tell you the depth the seed needs to be planted, etc. and are non-gmo and organic.
Lastly, gently water the soil and keep the seed moist until it has sprouted, and than give it LOTS of sunlight
Egg Carton Owl
Cut egg carton in half
Cut 2 egg section off of carton to make the head
Use the top piece to cut out the feet, wings, and remainder of owl’s body
Glue the head onto the body
Paint the owl’s body and glue googly eyes onto face
Wrap a ball of yarn around 2 of the childs fingers to form the shape of the octopus head
Remove ball of yarn around fingers and set to the side
Wrap a bundle of yarn around the childs hand and elbow, creating a large circle. This will be the octopus tentacles
Remove bundle of yarn and cut the loop you have made.
Lay out the strands of yarn on the table to create a star shape
Place the first ball of yarn you made in the centre of the star shape of yarn
Carefully flip the laid out yarn upside to to cover the octopus head
Wrap a piece of yarn around the base of the head to seperate the head from the tentacles
Now you can glue on googly eyes to the octopus
Feel free to braid the rest of the tentacles if you know how
Egg Carton Caterpillars
Cut a single 6 piece straight section from egg carton
Paint body and head of caterpillar
Once paint has dried glue googly eyes, and fuzzy balls onto the caterpillars body and face
Poke holes in caterpillars head to place pipe cleaner antennas in
Start by drawing 2 eyes and a smiley face on the top of one of the popsicle sticks
Than wrap yarn around the body of stick
If you want to add arms, cut a popsicle stick in half to shorten it up and than place it across the taller popsicle stick and than wrap the yarn diagonally across the arms to attach it to the body
If you want to colour the stick instead of using yarn, just use the felt markers to make any design you want on the body of stick.
Last step would be to cut off some yarn for hair, and glue it to back the the stick
Option to glue on buttons to body of stick
Ball of yarn
Bend pipe cleaner in half
Fold one side over the other about a third of the way up
Wrap a thick bundle of yarn around 4 of the kids fingers(keep it as loose as possible, without it falling off)
Slide one end up the pipe cleaner underneath the bundle of yarn wrapped around the fingers, until it reaches the folded part, and than twist the pipe cleaners to loose ends together.
Slide the bundle of yarn off the fingers, and than cut the yarn, on the opposite side of the pipe cleaner
Fold the hanging yarn over the closed end you created at the beginning.
Now you can roll the 2 pipe cleaner ends into circles and glue goggly eyes onto them!
Canada Flag Painted Rocks
Oval or rectangular rocks
Red and white washable paint
Paintbrush rinsing container
Wash off dirt and debris from rocks and let dry
Pour paint into container
Take your clean paintbrush and paint 2 vertical red lines on either side of the rock
Rinse paintbrush and switch to white paint
Paint white vertical line inbetween the red lines
Allow paint to dry
Clean your paintbrush and apply red to it, than paint overtop of the white section, a maple leaf
Egg Carton Butterflies
Fuzzy pipe cleaners
Cut out 2x2 section of an egg carton
Place pipe cleaner around center of 2x2 egg carton section and make antennas by twisting the 2 ends of pipe cleaner together at front of butterfly
Now you can paint your egg carton butterfly anyway you can imagine.
Allow your art to dry and your done!
1-2 Pipe cleaners
Pen or pencil
Wrap pipe cleaner around pen or pencil
For different sizes of caterpillars, just use different sizes of pens
For multi coloured caterpillars, first twist 2 pipe cleaners of different colours together before wrapping around pen
For extra long caterpillars, first connect 2 pipe cleaners end to end before wrapping around pen
Once the pipe cleaner has been wrapped around pen, gently pull off. (Try and wrap the pipe cleaner tight and close together)
Now you have your caterpillars body, simply glue on the googly eyes to the front
Option to glue on a fuzz ball for a tail, or make it extra fuzzy by gluing on fuzz balls to top of body
Pipe Cleaner Bicycles
3 multi coloured pipe cleaners
Shape the wheels
Add the bicycle frame and seat, by wrapping the second pipe cleaner around each wheel, and shaping the seat with your fingers.
Add the handlebars and pedals, with the third pipe cleaner, wrapping it around the frame. Working with pipe cleaners becomes easy once you get the hang of it.
Feel free to add a basket, or try different colours
Painted Rock Ladybugs
Rocks ( round, smooth, flat)
Water cup to clean paintbrushes
Clean off rocks and let dry
Paint the rocks in form of ladybugs, and let dry
Voila - you now have a simple, and beautiful ladybug rock you can place in your garden as art
Popsicle Stick Barnyard Animals
Water cup to clean paintbrushes
Paint popsicle sticks in form of your favorite barn yard animal
Glue googly eyes and button noses on face
Cut paper in shape of ears or hair if need be
Egg Carton Flowers
Water cup to clean paintbrushes
Pipe cleaners or popsicle sticks
Puff balls (optional)
Cut out a section of egg carton (4 egg holders work well)
Paint egg carton flower pedals any colours you want
Glue popsicle stick to back of egg carton or insert pipe cleaner in hole on back of flower
Glue puff ball to center of egg carton flower
Pop Bottle Terrarium
clear, empty plastic pop bottle with lid
gravel to line bottom of bottle
small plants of your choice (moss, “weeds”, ivy all work great!)
Have an adult cut the pop bottle about 1/2 way down, cut a couple of 2” vertical slits on the top and bottom halves of the bottle (this will help the top and bottom fit together again once you have finished)
Fill the bottom with gravel, about two inches deep
Fill the rest with soil, leaving about an inch or so of room at the top
Dig a small hole in the soil (get your hands dirty!) in which to place the plant
Place the plant in the hole, fill to the base of the plant with soil and slightly damp down the soil
Water so the soil is moist, but not soaking wet
Replace the top 1/2 of the bottle and remove to water - use a spray bottle instead of pouring water when the soil is dry.
Clothes pin Airplane
Acrylic paint (and Brush)
1. Paint and decorate the clothes pin and 2 1/2 popsicle sticks (cut the third popsicle stick in half).
2. Hot glue one stick to the top and one on the bottom of the clothes pin and the half on the back. (Use Picture above for reference)
3. Pin up your airplane or glue magnets to the bottom so you can put it on your fridge!
Egg Carton Bugs
Paper Egg Carton
1. Cut out the egg cartons and either cut out the cups together for the long bugs, or glue them together later. Make sure they are clean cut!
2. Paint up your bugs the colours you want! Make lady bugs, caterpillars, ants!
3. Once they're dry, glue the googly eyes where you want! Next, poke a small hole where you want the legs to come out of and weave the pipe cleaners through. Make a small bend/ball at the end of the pipe cleaner inside the cup so you cannot see it from the outside. bend the legs the way you wish and have fun with your recycled creatures!
Party Hats And Pompoms
Thick paper (colour of you choice)
Yarn or string
For the hat:
1. Start by cutting a semi circle to make the hat. this shape might need adjusting to make it the size and hight you like. Use hot glue or a few staples to make it into a cone. leave a small hole on the top when folding. This will be for the pompom.
2. Use the hole puncher to make two holes on opposite sides on the bottom of the cone. Cut 2 elastic bands and tie each one to the hole you made and tie the two ends together to make the chin strap.
For the pompom:
1. To begin, tie a loop around your 3 fingers (4 for tiny hands!) with the yarn. Wrap the yarn loosly (to not cut off circulation) over and over until you think its enough. Wrap more for a fuller pompom, less for a more bare one.
2. Pull the yarn off your hand and be careful to not unravel it. The string will look like an "O". Make a VERY tight knot around one side of the "O". Now take the string that made the knot and tie it around the middle to make the "O" into an "8". Again, make to knot very tight. Make sure before you cut the yarn, there is at lease a few inches extra.
3. After its all tied up, cut each side of the "8" so there are 4 bunches of string. Play with the string so it is more like a ball and clean it up by cutting the long strands (keeping the strand long that was used for the knots)
4. Weave the long strand through the small hole we made when making the hat. Pull it through and tape the strand to the inside of the hat so it doesn't fall off. Strap it to your head and party on!
Egg Carton Bouquet
Paper egg carton
Pompoms or sequins
Hot glue gun
1. First, cut out carefully each individual cup from the egg carton, make sure the edges are clean and then cut 4 pedals in each corner to make it more flower-like.
2. Paint each egg carton cup to make them colourful and beautiful! (Make sure they dry to more onto the next step!)
3. In the middle of the bottom, pierce a small hole so the pipe cleaner can go through. Weave it through and make a small ball on the end so when you pull it, it doesn't go back through. Hot glue it to keep it still and place a pompom on top. Bunch them together and put them in a vase or decorate with them!
2 popsicle sticks per gods eye (or chopsticks, full chopstick for a large gods eye, or half for a small one)
1+ colours of string or yarn
1. Glue 2 popsicle sticks together to make them cross in the middle.
2. Double tie the first colour of string in the middle and begin by wrapping once around first point. Move to the next point with the string and go around it the same way as the first time. *Wrap all the points the same way each time!*
3. Continue around each of the 4 points until you reach near the end of the sticks, or want to switch colour.
Switch colour- tie the end of string in use to the end of new colour. Continue as normal.
Finish- place your finger on the string on the popsicle so it doesn't move. With the other hand, make a long loop with the string and wrap the string around the bottom until you think it's tight enough. This will be how you hang your god's eye! Tie a knot so it doesn't unravel and hang it up!
(Craft from Saturday August 4 2018)
Paper Plate Hand Fan
2 popsicle sticks (per fan)
Colours (markers, paint, glitter, etc)
Glue (preferably hot glue)
1. First, cut paper plate in half.
2. Decorate! Customize your own fan any way you want!
3. (Optional) Fold plate back and forth from one corner to the other (like the picture above shows)
4. Use hot glue to glue popsicle sticks on each side on the flat side of the plate. Connect popsicle sticks so they create a "X" shape on the bottom of the plate. Wait for it to dry, and your done!
(Craft from Saturday July 28 2018)
Yarn (Preferably minimum of 2 colours)
1. Follow instructions provided in weaving kit for beginning.
2. Use as many colours as you want by tying the new colour of yarn to the end of the yarn you started with, cut off excess and continue.
3. You can get creative with beads, ribbons, length or width! You can tie it together and make a bracelet, or leave it for a nice wall hanging or a book mark!
(Craft from Saturday July 21 2018)
Toilet Paper Bracelets
Toilet paper roll(s)
Glue (preferably white glue or hot glue)
Pipe cleaners or string
Decorations of your choice (Glitter, sequins, paint, markers, beads, stickers)
Old paint brush for glue(Optional)
1. To start, cut the paper rolls along the side. Then you can cut strips out horizontally to the width of the bracelet you like.
2. Get creative! Add all the paint, glitter, sequins that you like! You can make glitter shapes by painting on the shape you like with glue and pour glitter on it then brush away the extra.
3. With the hole puncher, put holes through both ends of the strip. With the pipe cleaner, feed through both holes and twist around each other so you can adjust it on your wrist. And you're done! Show off your new accessories! (Just don't get them wet!)
(Picture above from learncreatelove.com)
(Craft from Saturday July 14 2018)
Coffee Filter Butterflies
Flat coffee filters
Water or rubbing alcohol (optional)
1. To start, cut the coffee filter in half along the rim to create the wings. Now colour away! Make some awesome designs to your hearts content! After you are happy with what the wings look like, you can drop water or rubbing alcohol so the colours spread. This step is optional if you don't mind getting a little messy!
2. Next, get a clothespin and clip the inside of the wings so they bunch up a little. On the clothes pin, you can glue on the googly eyes and a pipe-cleaner shaped like a "V" to the top to create the antenna!
3. Make finishing details and you can hang up, decorate or give away your beautiful finished butterflies!
(Craft from Saturday July 7 2018)